Monday, September 5, 2011

Story Time: The Butterfly


A man found a cocoon of a butterfly.
One day a small opening appeared.
He sat and watched the butterfly for several hours
as it struggled to squeeze its body through the tiny hole.
Then it stopped, as if it couldn’t go further.
So the man decided to help the butterfly.
He took a pair of scissors and
snipped off the remaining bits of cocoon.
The butterfly emerged easily but
it had a swollen body and shriveled wings.
The man continued to watch it,
expecting that any minute the wings would enlarge
and expand enough to support the body,
Neither happened!
In fact the butterfly spent the rest of its life
crawling around.
It was never able to fly.
What the man in his kindness
and haste did not understand:
The restricting cocoon and the struggle
required by the butterfly to get through the opening
was a way of forcing the fluid from the body
into the wings so that it would be ready
for flight once that was achieved.
Sometimes struggles are exactly
what we need in our lives.

Going through life with no obstacles would cripple us.
We will not be as strong as we could have been
and we would never fly.
So have a nice day and struggle a little and teach well.

34 comments:

  1. amazing insight, faith
    visit me at desigirl28.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved,absolutely loveddd it :)
    and hye I'm sorry I haven't been commenting off late, been kinda caught up with school :|
    but heyy Faith! where have you been :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this, this is such a beautiful message. The struggles is always completely worth it; it teaches you to value your achievements that much more! :)

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Overcoming our obstacles do make us stronger <3 I loved this blog post!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is really beautiful. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. "Sometimes struggles are exactly what we need in our lives. Going through life with no obstacles would cripple us. We will not be as strong as we could have been."

    Sums everything up! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. hey i am really amazed by this and would love to follow your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  8. last lines were so true .. loved it :)

    Weakest LINK

    ReplyDelete
  9. really enjoyed it.I think it applies to helping our siblings/kids too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a great story! very inspiring. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this. It's so wonderful and inspiring and honest. It's like a fable.
    PS. I just stumbled onto your site and the first thing I heard was the Smiths. You just got a new follower. xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. i love this story, greeting from indonesia,.. i will join with yours, hope u do the same.. thank u

    ReplyDelete
  13. ♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♪¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪ ♪♫•*♥¨*•. ¸¸
    Hi Faith, I'm dropping by random blogs to pass on my well-wishes. Happy New Year, I hope 2012 brings all you hope for and deserve!

    ~ Barry
    ♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♪¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪ ♪♫•*♥¨*•. ¸¸

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful lesson!
    I agree.
    Happy New Year, by the way! Have a great one.

    ReplyDelete
  15. In our human short-sitedness, it's so easy to forget lessons like this. Thanks for sharing...

    ReplyDelete
  16. Cute blog! Definitely gonna start following!

    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  17. u have a great blog, nice stories in it...

    BTW, im following u now =)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you so much for sharing this inspiring story! I needed it so much!

    XoXo
    Plami

    http://www.fashionthrill.com/

    ReplyDelete
  19. Beautiful story! Simply written, but truly inspiring! Thank you for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Aww,Butterflies!!I so love them and anything to do with them!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. There's a little surprise for you at this page :)
    http://loonytrash.blogspot.in/2012/02/liebster-blog-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  22. hey,just nominated you for versatile blogger award. check http://iamnotevensure.blogspot.com for more info

    ReplyDelete
  23. This was very, very cool. I even learned something about butterflies that I never knew. However, if I am ever trapped in a cocoon and struggling, by all means cut me free!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I just LOVE reading your posts and your thoughts...
    Thanks for following me at Label me ADDICT. I hope you will take the time to visit me at my new upcoming Food blog at...

    http://deathofalldieticians.blogspot.com

    Lots of ♥ D .

    ReplyDelete
  25. Your blog's background is cute.
    Follow each other?

    ReplyDelete
  26. A very essential lesson in life, weaved into a simple story. Enjoyed the read.

    Vidya

    ReplyDelete